Tuesday 9 April 2013

Fatherhood, and other stuff

My various attempts at blogging are a microcosm of my life: occasionally I get interested in things that spur me into action outside the boundaries of normal daily routine.  Once for example, I thought that oil painting would be a fine activity.  I promptly went to the local hobby shop to buy a ‘starter’ kit only to realise, after just two paintings, that oil painting was stupid.  The kit was swiftly stored in the attic next to my crayfish net, drum kit and homemade beer making kit - activities that highlight, not so much my interest in discovering new things, but my lack of commitment in seeing things through.

Previously, I’ve attempted blogging on a couple of subjects.  My interests in music, religion, philosophy and popular culture have all had trivial representations on the world wide web to varying levels.  Then it struck me: why don’t I just be myself?  I’ll write a blog about me - my interests, my family and my ever evolving quest to discover the meaning of life.  My previous blogs, I’ve come to realise, have not been an accurate model of who I am - they have been a misrepresentation of who I wanted (or want?!) to be.

As a parent, I’ve come to realise that who I am has less to do with me, and more to do with those around me.  This realisation has been a gradual process, and, at 29, I feel I’m just at the cusp of discovering what this means.  This blog is a way of working towards addressing these observations, whilst, at the same time, providing an expression of my interests and activities.

It might, if I’m lucky, even generate an income - whoop whoop!

No comments:

Post a Comment